New solution updates
Your answer for each question should be a minimum of 150 words (half page). Cite your sources after each question.
1. In 1835, Bassi showed that a fungus caused a silkworm disease, and in 1865 Pasteur discovered that a protozoan caused another silkworm disease. Why do we use Koch's postulates instead of Bassi's or Pasteur's postulates?
2. In 1884, Hans Christian Gram described a method of staining bacterial cells while not staining surrounding animal tissues, however, he thought the staining method he developed was faulty because not all bacteria stained. In a letter to the editor of the journal in which Gram published his findings, write your response to Gram's concern.
3. Compare and contrast gram-positive and gram-negative cell walls with regard to (a) sensitivity to antimicrobial agents, (b) resistance to phagocytosis, (c) chemical composition, and (d) decolorization by alcohol.
4. Identify the catabolic pathways used by the following bacteria
Pseudomonas Oxidizes glucose
Lactobacillus Ferments glucose
Alcaligenes Neither oxidizes nor ferments glucose
Escherichia Oxidizes and ferments glucose
5. You look in the refrigerator and find an orange drink you had forgotten was there. The drink now has an off-taste and it bubbles. What is the most likely explanation for the changes in the drink?
6. Rhodopseudomonas is an anaerobic photoautotroph that uses organic compounds as an electron donor. It is also capable of chemoheterotrophic metabolism. Diagram the metabolic pathways of this bacterium.
7. Assume that you are responsible for decontaminating materials in a large hospital. How would you sterilize each of the following? Briefly justify your answers.
a. A mattress used by a patient with bubonic plague
b. Intravenous glucose-saline solutions
c. Used disposable syringe
d. Tissues taken from patients
7_microbiology_questions.docx Download Attachment
Your answer for each question should be a minimum of 150 words (half page). Cite your sources
after each... Show more
Solution ID:351163 | This paper was updated on 26-Nov-2015Price : $60