New solution updates
ORIGINAL ASSIGNMENT (This is the one that is overdue)
Doctoral researchers must be able to manage statistical data in order to draw conclusions about the data from a research study. This assignment will allow you to practice your skills in working with standard deviation, hypotheses, and standard error.
In an essay of 250-500 words, thoroughly address the following items and respond to the related questions
1. Define the term standard deviation. Why is it important to know the standard deviation for a given sample? What do researchers learn about a normal distribution from knowledge of the standard deviation? A sample of n= 20 has a mean of M = 40. If the standard deviation is s= 5, would a score of X= 55 be considered an extreme value? Why or why not?
2. Hypothesis testing allows researchers to use sample data, taken from a larger population, to draw inferences (i.e., conclusions) about the population from which the sample came. Hypothesis testing is one of the most commonly used inferential procedures. Define and thoroughly explain the terms null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis. How are they used in hypothesis testing?
Define the term standard error. Why is the standard error important in research using sample distributions? Consider the following scenario: A random sample obtained from a population has a mean of µ=100 and a standard deviation of? = 20. The error between the sample mean and the population mean for a sample of n = 16 is 5 points and the error between a sample men and population mean for a sample of n = 100 is 2 points. Explain the difference in the standard error for the two samples.
ASSIGNMENT #2 (Due September 10 th)
Read selected sections of Nelson, J. A. P., Young, B. J., Young, E. J., & Cox, G. (2010). Using teacher-written praise notes to promote a positive environment in a middle school. Preventing School Failure, 54 (2), 119-125. You should read the Abstract, Introduction, Participants and Setting, Procedure, Measures (paragraph 1 only), Data Analysis (paragraph 1 only), Results (paragraph 1 only), and Discussion (paragraph 1 and 2 only).
In an essay of 250-500 words, use the scenario presented in part 1a, above, to answer the following questions
• What statistical test was used in Nelson et al., (2010)?
• Did the authors use the correct statistical test? In other words, what was their rationale for using this test (i.e., were the variables discrete or continuous and was the test appropriate for this type of data?)
• What was the research question? How did the statistical test address and answer the research question?
How did the authors interpret the results of this study?
Solution ID:522840 | This paper was updated on 26-Nov-2015Price : $30